Get ready to set a journey from Post-Pregnancy to Pre-Pregnancy period. This journey is for all the aspiring new moms who wish to get back in their pre-maternity figure.
Now the concept of time-travelling would no longer be a sci-fi. Because these Breathing Exercises in Yoga Pranayama when given regular attention would help you time travel in your pre-pregnancy days.
This exclusive list of ‘Breathing Yogas for new moms’, is for those who want to get back their “Good old days.” Or should we say those “Good old clothes”?
Why is Breathing Yoga a favorite?
The benefits of breathing yoga makes it a favorite and most preferred exercise type among new mothers. It is certainly as easy as breathing when done with a relaxed mind.
Also, it is safer than other post delivery exercises, which involve much of the exhaustive physical work and more time.
After delivery, many new mothers either feel overwhelmed and some even suffer from postpartum depression, where she feels irritant and/or disinterested in nursing her baby and other activities.
Such Breathing exercise for Postpartum depression would keep you relaxed, you body would also get toned. Besides your skin would look healthy and glowing like it is supposed to.
But most importantly, these effective exercises after delivery would bring your organs back to their original positions which get misplaced inside your body when you are pregnant.
Since you know internal organs near and around abdomen, stomach, liver etc, gets shifted due to the growth of baby in a women’s womb.
With such Breathing Yogas for postnatal internal organ’s shifting, you could bring back your organs to their original position, quite soon.
- Since these Pranayama yoga come under the category of breathing exercises, you should preferably do this in an open space. Or else a well-ventilated room would also serve the purpose.
- It’s important that you wear light fabric clothes. Tight leggings or joggers would make you feel uncomfortable. Evidently, you won’t be able to concentrate on your breathing pattern.
- You could wear flared cotton pants which is not tight around your waist. If you are going through postpartum sweating which continues to exist, even after many weeks of delivery.
- If you plan to perform these yoga(s) during evening time, make sure that you start it 4 hours after lunch. Otherwise exercising with an empty stomach, early morning is also a best option.
- Talking about your sitting position (i.e. your posture), it must be correct too. A correct posture for breathing yoga is that, one has to keep her spinal cord straight and aligned with the back of her neck.
- Before starting don’t forget to consult with your doctor, to know if you could start with these exercises. As depending upon your chosen type of delivery, your recovery period may vary.
- You should know that there is a difference between forcing ‘yourself’ to exercise and forcing your ‘body’ to exercise.
- In the former case you are supposed to include exercises in your daily routine without being lazy. You should be strong willed. Force your mind to perform them routinely.
- On the contrary, in latter case when you would force your body in pain for exercising that is not good. Don’t force your body unnecessarily.
- If you feel any kind of ‘pain’ or ‘stress’ in your muscles while performing these Yogas, please discontinue.
- Another important piece of advice is that: – Don’t do any rigorous exercise after performing breathing Yogas.
- As after Pranayama you need relax and feel fresh. It’s also important that you eat healthy foods as well. Only then your efforts would give you effective results.
Following are the 5 Breathing Yogas that are found to be suitable for new moms:
Remember before starting any of these pranayamas you could warm up in Corpse Shavasana Yoga pose.
Where you need to lie down on your mat with your palms facing upwards, arms and legs wide apart, like a corpse with a free empty mind.
Tips & Benefits
- This is an abdominal breathing exercise. In every breathing yoga type, you must see how you breathe.
- In Kapalbhati you inhale through your nostrils. Usually, when we inhale, our stomach gets tucked in.
- However here you are supposed to do the opposite. Your abdomen should rise instead of getting tucked in when you inhale.
- You will see in the Video above that while inhaling, the instructor also raise up his hands. If you could sync your breathing with the movement of hands, it’s well and good. Otherwise, you could simply rest your palm on your knees for ease.
- When you exhale tuck in your stomach by contracting one’s abdominal muscles, as much as you can. Your inhalation must be deep while your exhalations must be short, quick and rhythmic.
- Ten to twenty rounds of Kapalbhati would suffice in the beginning, later your can increase it.
- This Breathing Yoga would help you burn, stubborn fat present in your abdominal area. Also, it purifies the blood, improves blood circulation system, nervous system, and energizes human body etc.
Tips & Benefits
- In Kapalbhati you used your lungs to breathe not your abdomen (stomach). Here you will breathe through your abdomen. First deeply inhale air through one nostril retain the same for some time and then exhale through another nostril.
- Your capacity to retain air would increase after few practices. Exhale if you start feeling dizzy.
- Breathing must be done slowly. At beginning, you should not do more than seven-ten times. Continue doing so for at least five days, give yourself time.
- If you think you could do more than ten rounds then increase your margin slowly. But don’t try to increase your capacity beyond forty rounds.
- This exercise would benefit you in several ways like in increased oxygen supply inside your body. It helps fight postpartum depression, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure etc. All in all it would benefit you both physically and emotionally.
- See that you breathe in a rhythm. Your breathing should sound like a ‘slow’ music. Since you were pregnant, don’t breathe in and out hurriedly.
Tips & Benefits
- Yes, we have been saying that breathing Yogas are easy to perform but Bhastrika is one of those advanced Yogas which should only be performed, when one has mastered Kapalbhati and Anulom Vilom breathing techniques.
- As Bhastrika is nothing but the incorporation of these two Yogas in this breathing exercise.
- At first, you are supposed to perform Kapalbhati repeatedly for around twenty-five times. Then at last, you are to perform to perform Anulom Vilom just once. This would make one complete round of authentic Bhastrika, in a real sense.
- You will see that in many places, you will be suggested to do five to ten rounds of Kapalbhati and one Anulom Vilom at the end. But this way you won’t be able to get the effective benefits of Bhastrika.
- Like increased metabolism rate, reduced body’s fat, improved immunity plus digestion, blood purification, detoxification of the body, and less feeling of laziness etc.
Like we said in the beginning Bhastrika is an advanced breathing yoga. Hence you must consult your fitness expert, before starting it.
Tips & Benefits
- This is not only an after birth breathing yoga for new mothers, but it is also a prenatal yoga type, that many women perform even during their pregnancy.
- Hence you should not be skeptical about its safety level. Though it’s safe but it is also one of the advanced Pranayama forms.
- For this, first, close both of your eardrums with your thumbs. Then rest your index finger on your forehead. Simply place the rest of your three fingers in such a way that:
- Your middle fingers cover both of your eyes.
- Your ring fingers cover your both ala of nose (your nose sides) and lastly;
- Keep your little (small) fingers is free in the air.
- Don’t press your finger while keeping them on the positions stated.
- Inhale deeply and then create a buzzing sound like a bee with your mouth closed. Buzz as per your capacity.
- Bhramari helps new mothers in meditating, as along with breathing yoga it is also a meditative yoga as well. This way, you will be able to concentrate well as babies demand complete attention from their mothers.
- Nursing newborns is an activity which exhausts new moms. Bhramari would lower your fatigue too.
- Facts say that Bhramari activates the seven chakras (wheels of life) present in human body. Chakras are nothing but the spiritual hub of energy, with which your vital body parts and organs function.
Tips & Benefits
- For performing Ujjayi, breathe in air deep through your nostrils. After this hold that air for some time, with a calm mind.
- Exhale slowly, making a blowing sound. Remember while exhaling you need to give sound to your exhalations, closing your mouth.
- Three – four rounds of Ujjayi at the beginning is enough. You could increase the number of rounds up to twenty gradually, only when your body allows.
- Performing this breathing exercise would change your digestive and respiratory system for good.
- Many women develop postpartum thyroditis, i.e. inflammation of thyroid which includes symptoms like:
- Feeling of weakness in muscles
- Irritant nature
- Fast heartbeats
- Diarrhea etc.
Ujjayi would help them in coping with it by stimulating their thyroid glands. This exercise would balance the troubled hormones.
After childbirth, body of a new mother becomes as fragile as her baby. Your postnatal body needs to feel relaxed and rejuvenated. In such a case the most convenient and simple post pregnancy exercise, turns out to be Breathing Yogas.
Post pregnancy breathing Yogas for new moms is a great way, for not only losing that un-needed weight, but also in dealing with the changes which occur to one’s body after pregnancy.