Infertility is one of the major rising concerns of the world today. Women alarmingly are at a higher risk of it as stats show that around 10% women are suffering from it across the globe whereas men are at 7-8%.
There can be various causes of infertility in both men and women and we will be discussing about some of them in this article. Also, we will have a look some of the potential causes that can lead to tomorrow’s infertility.
There have been discussions over online forums over the decade that certain foods and unhealthy food habits are one of the major causes of infertility. Is it really true? Let’s find out!
Can food or food habits be one of the major causes of infertility?
Can foods really cause infertility? Unfortunately some researches show that they do whereas in some cases it has enhanced fertility in both men and women.
So, what sort of foods or food habits are the major causes of infertility? Let’s find out!
1. Caffeinated Drinks
Caffeinated drinks such as Coffee and Colas might lead to infertility both in men and women. According to a study men who consumed 250 liters of caffeinated drinks daily had 30% lesser sperm count as compared to the men who had no or less consumption.
Whereas the metabolism during pregnancy have reduced and miscarriages have increased in cases of women who had coffee consumption of 200 mg of caffeine on daily basis.
According to resolve.org caffeinated drinks reduces the chances of getting pregnant in case of women. Hence, Coffee can be one of the major causes of infertility, Bam Proven!
2. Noodles and Lead/Mercury content
Recently Nestle has called off its major noodle brand “Maggie” which was in the news for its abnormal lead content.
Lead is a very toxic element that can bring down the male fertility to around 30-40% whereas in women it can lead to miscarriages and improper egg formations. Hence foods containing even lower lead content must be avoided.
According to an article published by The Washington Post High Fructose Corn Syrups also contain lead and mercury. Some of them also contain MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) which is known to be inappropriate for pregnant women.
Hence, foods containing lead and mercury are one of the major causes of infertility and hence must be avoided!
3. Low Fat foods
According to a recent research conducted by Harvard School of Public health published in Human Reproduction Journal, consumption of low fat dairy products can affect women by interfering with the Ovulation process.
According to the study, women who had higher consumption of Low fat dairy products were 85% more likely to suffer from ovulation disorders. Whereas on the other hand, women who ate full fat dairy products had 25% lesser chances to face any ovulation disorder or any miscarriages, states the report.
Hence, avoid taking low fat dairy products as they are potential causes of infertility especially for women!
4. Soya Based Foods (esp. Tofu)
If you think Soya and Soya Based products are safe then think again! Soya Based food products basically contain Phytoestrogens which when consumed interfere with the functionalities of the Endocrine System thus leading to reproductive issues.
Recently a study was conducted on 100 men so as to verify how soya affected sperm counts. The reports showed that men who ate Soya at least twice a month had lesser sperm count as compared to that of men who didn’t consume at all!
Soya is also harmful as it contains Aluminum which is toxic in nature hence, making it one of the potential causes of infertility especially in case of men!
5. Refined Carbohydrates
Refined carbohydrates such as white bread or Snacks containing higher amounts of sugars must be avoided as they elevate blood sugar and insulin in the body.
Increased insulin in the body hampers the regeneration and development of reproductive hormones and in many cases it also messed up with the menstrual cycle in women.
Further this hormonal imbalance can lead to ovulatory infertility thus leading to other serious issues such as miscarriages. With increased insulin one can also suffer from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) a disorder in which ovaries can no longer produce quality eggs.
Hence Refined Carbohydrates must be avoided as they are one of the potential causes of infertility.
6. Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol consumption is also one of the major causes of infertility in both and women.
This is because, Alcohol contains carbohydrates but lesser Vitamins or minerals in it which are essential for breaking down the carbohydrates present in the body.
Alcohol consumption can thus lead to deficiency of vital nutrients and minerals that are required to enhance our reproductive system.
Alcohol also causes hormonal imbalances in the body as it affects the liver which abundantly produces estrogen/progesterone in the body leading to serious estrogen domination problems in men and women.
Also women who tend to drink alcohol heavily are always at a risk of miscarriages.
7. Genetically Modified foods
Genetically Modified Foods are basically that types of foods produced by organisms that have their DNA is changed using Genetic engineering.
They are harmful as they are not naturally occurring and might intervene with the reproductive system of our body. According to an Australian study, rats were kept under examination by feeding them GMO foods.
It was seen that rats that were fed with GMO had fewer children as compared to rats that were given normal food. Other than this GMO foods can also lead to abnormal increase or decrease of insulin in the body making it one of the major causes of infertility both in men and women.
8. Trans Fatty Acids
Trans Fatty acids (TFAs) have known to be one of the major causes of infertility in both men and women as they interfere with Body Glucose metabolism and make it insensitive to insulin raising sugar levels in the body.
TFAs can cause ovulatory infertility and reduction in sperm count. This ovular infertility can further lead to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in women leading to miscarriages.
The harmful effects of infertility can also pass on to the child either in the womb or during breastfeeding which can hamper the growth of brain in infants.
9. Beef Consumption
According to a recent study conducted by Rochester Medical Centre, Mothers consuming higher amounts of beef while expecting are at the verge of compromising the fertility of their child present in their womb.
Men born to such mothers had lesser sperm count as compared to other men. Hence the consumption of beef must be controlled during pregnancy as it has been proves as one of the potential causes of infertility in women and men.
Causes of Infertility in Men and Women
In most of the cases the primary causes of infertility in women were birth defects or injuries on the reproductive organs.
Some of the other causes of infertility in men and women include:
- Exposure to Chemicals and Radiation: Chemicals have always been proven harmful to humans leading to abnormalities such as early puberties. Over exposure to chemicals such as fertilizer, pesticides, toxins and even radioactive material can be one of the primary causes for infertility as they reduce the sperm count.
- Exposure to Heat: Though heat is not always a major concern as we humans are accustomed to our planet’s heat over the years. But in some cases overexposure to heat such as Hot water baths, Saunas, Jacuzzis or even electromagnetic fields etc. can be one of the primary causes for infertility in men.
- Cancer and medications: Cancer or any other issues that include radiation chemotherapy or medications such as steroids can be one of the causes for infertility both in men and women. These radiations hamper the growth of sperms, reduce the sperm count in men or even sometimes hamper the growth or production of egg in women thus making them infertile.
- Varicocele and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): Variocele can be one of the major causes for infertility in men as it is a situation where they have twisted veins within the scrotum which produces sperms. Whereas, PCOS in women is a condition in which production of eggs by ovaries seems to be a very difficult task.
- Unhealthy or improper food habits: Improper food habits include increased junk foods consumption, over consumption of alcohol, lack of body essentials such as vitamins, proteins and minerals etc. can lead to infertility both in men and women. 30% of the cases of infertility are mainly due to malnutrition in women.
- Age: It can be one of the major causes of infertility mostly in case of women. Fertility starts to decline in early 30s in case of women as the production of quality eggs gradually decreases much after the age of 35. In some cases these issues have lead to miscarriages and stillborns.
Natural Remedies for Infertility
Enough causes of infertility! Now let’s have a look at natural remedies for infertility:
- Consumption of High Fat dairy foods.
- Perform Acupuncture daily as it boosts fertility.
- Eat well balanced food and avoid junk foods especially when expecting.
- Avoid exposure to chemicals as they are toxic and cause infertility in both men and women.
- Avoid Saturated fats or fats that can cause insulin imbalance in the body.
- Avoid eating genetically modified foods.